Day after blast, Bengal DGP admits to security lapse

5 11 2008

Source: Indian Express
Salboni, November 03
The West Bengal government has admitted to a lapse in security of the chief minister which suspected Maoists used to target his convoy in Salboni on Sunday. And the man to admit this was none other than West Bengal Director General of Police AB Vohra.

Six policemen were injured in the blast that ripped through a police jeep minutes after the convoy carrying Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and Union minister Ram Vilas Paswan passed the spot.

Police said six persons had been arrested. Three policemen — an inspector and two constables — who were responsible for manning the blast spot have been suspended for dereliction of duty.

Vohra, who rushed to the blast site on Monday morning, also talked to the district administration and pointed out the lapses in CM’s security.

Later talking to reporters, he said: “The police failed to apprehend the attack.”

After receiving a primary report from the DGP, Home Secretary Ashok Mohan Chakrabarti described Sunday’s incident as “a serous lapse in security”.

“No one responsible for the incident will be spared, no matter how big an officer one is,” Chakrabarti said.

The CPM state secretary, Biman Bose, made it amply clear that the police and intelligence failure was the reason for Sunday’s incident.

“The administration should have had information that such a thing was about to happen. The Maoists had over a half-kilometer-long wire attached to the bomb. It ran through open fields and along a canal bank. It is very difficult to accept that no one saw them,” said Bose. Sources in the Chief Minister’s secretariat said even Bhattacharjee himself was unhappy about the role of the district police. He has pointed out the lack of intelligence inputs.

Apart from the inquiry initiated by the DGP, Bhattacharjee has directed his Chief Security Officer, AK Maliwal, to file a separate report on the incident. “The superintendent of police of West Midnapore cannot deny his responsibility,” said a senior official of the CM’s secretariat.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home minister Shivraj Patil, meanwhile, had a telephonic conversation with the Bhattacharjee on Monday. “Both asked about my well being and wanted to know the details of Sunday’s incident,” the chief minister told reporters.

Earlier in the day, both Vohra and Maliwal made a on the spot inquiry of Sunday’s blast. The officers traversed through the paddy fields adjacent to the blast spot and went to the point from where the Maoists reportedly triggered the blast.

They tried to comprehend how the high tension wire, overhead the blast site, snapped with the blast. The police are also trying to trace the escape routes that the Maoists could have used.

Both the officers were present for more than two hours on the spot and later Vohra held a series of meetings with the district police officers.


Lapses on part of West Bengal police for naxal attack on VIPs

New Delhi (PTI): Basic security drill was not ensured by West Bengal police ahead of the visit of Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan to Maoist-infested Midnapore district on Sunday when the Left-wing extremists triggered a landmine explosion.

Sources in Union Home Ministry said the police had not carried the basic road opening exercise, a mandatory security drill, ahead of the VIP arrival to or departure from a foundation-laying ceremony of a steel project in West Midnapore district.

The remote-controlled mine was exploded by the Maoists at Salboni shortly after Bhattacharjee had passed through that area and Paswan was approaching the point in Jhargram district, adjacent to naxal-infested Midnapore district.

While state Home Secretary A M Chakraborty said it was not a timer but a remote controlled device used to trigger the blast, Union Home Ministry officials were surprised that the West Bengal Police had not sent a Road opening Party (RoP) ahead of the VIP visit.

The pilot car of Paswan was caught in the mine explosion which was followed by the fall of a high-voltage electricity wire that led to injuries to six policemen.

State Police Chief A B Vohra himself is conducting an inquiry and fix responsibilities in case of lapses.

Advertisements




Nandigram condemnation

18 11 2007


sea of Protestors

Protests protests everywhere

Commie goons

We condemn the human rights violation and the violence at Nandigram since 6 November 2007, which demonstrated, yet again, after the massacre of 14 March 2007, the way in which the ruling party in West Bengal does not hesitate to use the state machinery to meet its own narrow political ends. The planned inaction of the police since 6 November, the cordoning off of a large area by cadres of the CPI(M) without interference by the police, is no different in kind from what happened on 14 March. In both cases, the police acted as agents of the ruling party, something which goes completely against the norms of democratic governance.

This nexus between the ruling party and the state machinery becomes clearer when we consider that the police inaction in Nandigram has been matched by excessive police enthusiasm in cracking down on citizens in Kolkata and unleashing terror upon peaceful protestors.

We demand an immediate initiation of a just peace process in Nandigram, as distinct from an enforced normalcy. Such an initiative cannot take place without the restraining of ruling party cadres and mercenaries and ending the reign of terror that has been unleashed on the people. A just peace process, which will enable the people of Nandigram to return to their homes, must involve residents of Nandigram, together with a broad-based people’s initiative.

It is clear that the government has been complicit in creating a situation of terror in Nandigram. We hold the Chief Minister of West Bengal, who is also in charge of the police, directly accountable for this state of affairs.

600 Dalits and Muslims have been killed in Nandigram
Nov. 14, 2007 (detailed news Item here from rediff)
Over 600 Dalits and Muslims have been killed in Nandigram, most of them in the last week, claimed Dalit activist Dr Udit Raj, quoting a report from the West Bengal unit of the Indian Justice Party and the All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations. Dr Raj is president of the IJP and chairman of the confederation.
In a press release, Dr Udit Raj claimed this was the reason why the media and social activists were kept out of the area.

No action taken by police 10 days after incident, CPM cadres still control access

Nandigram, Nov 16: It’s been 10 days since Sabina Begum (name changed to protect her identity) was allegedly gangraped by CPM men during “Operation Recapture,” as first reported in The Indian Express today. But the Nandigram police, who registered a case after the medical report confirmed the rape, say they have not been able to visit the victim’s house in Satengabari, the scene of the crime that can yield crucial evidence in the case.

(http://www.indianexpress.com/story/240207.html)

For more details and resources
http://development-dialogues.blogspot.com/





Nandigram condemnation

18 11 2007


sea of Protestors

Protests protests everywhere

Commie goons

We condemn the human rights violation and the violence at Nandigram since 6 November 2007, which demonstrated, yet again, after the massacre of 14 March 2007, the way in which the ruling party in West Bengal does not hesitate to use the state machinery to meet its own narrow political ends. The planned inaction of the police since 6 November, the cordoning off of a large area by cadres of the CPI(M) without interference by the police, is no different in kind from what happened on 14 March. In both cases, the police acted as agents of the ruling party, something which goes completely against the norms of democratic governance.

This nexus between the ruling party and the state machinery becomes clearer when we consider that the police inaction in Nandigram has been matched by excessive police enthusiasm in cracking down on citizens in Kolkata and unleashing terror upon peaceful protestors.

We demand an immediate initiation of a just peace process in Nandigram, as distinct from an enforced normalcy. Such an initiative cannot take place without the restraining of ruling party cadres and mercenaries and ending the reign of terror that has been unleashed on the people. A just peace process, which will enable the people of Nandigram to return to their homes, must involve residents of Nandigram, together with a broad-based people’s initiative.

It is clear that the government has been complicit in creating a situation of terror in Nandigram. We hold the Chief Minister of West Bengal, who is also in charge of the police, directly accountable for this state of affairs.

600 Dalits and Muslims have been killed in Nandigram
Nov. 14, 2007 (detailed news Item here from rediff)
Over 600 Dalits and Muslims have been killed in Nandigram, most of them in the last week, claimed Dalit activist Dr Udit Raj, quoting a report from the West Bengal unit of the Indian Justice Party and the All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations. Dr Raj is president of the IJP and chairman of the confederation.
In a press release, Dr Udit Raj claimed this was the reason why the media and social activists were kept out of the area.

No action taken by police 10 days after incident, CPM cadres still control access

Nandigram, Nov 16: It’s been 10 days since Sabina Begum (name changed to protect her identity) was allegedly gangraped by CPM men during “Operation Recapture,” as first reported in The Indian Express today. But the Nandigram police, who registered a case after the medical report confirmed the rape, say they have not been able to visit the victim’s house in Satengabari, the scene of the crime that can yield crucial evidence in the case.

(http://www.indianexpress.com/story/240207.html)

For more details and resources
http://development-dialogues.blogspot.com/