LeT, Hizb helped SIMI, IM in carrying out blasts’

20 09 2008

Source: CNN IBN

New Delhi: The Delhi Police claim to have cracked the serial bomb blast cases, which rocked different parts of the country over the past few months.

Joint Commissioner of Police Special Cell, Delhi Police, Karnail Singh said the terror module behind the blasts is a deadly cocktail of Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT), Hizbul Mujahideen, Indian Mujahideen and Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).

“LeT and Hizbul Mujahideen provided support to Indian Mujahideen and SIMI, who were directly involved in carrying out the serial bomb blasts in Delhi, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, UP courts and Varanasi,” Singh said while addressing the media on Saturday evening in New Delhi.

Singh also said that that the terrorist killed by a Special Cell team in New Delhi’s Jamia Nagar area on Friday morning as been identified as Atif and he was kingpin of the terror network.

“Atif and Junaid planted the bombs in Greater Kailash-i M block Market, Sajid and Zeeshan at Barakhambha Road while Saif and Khalid planted the bomb in Ghaffar Market,” Singh added.

Singh also revealed that all the terrorists came from Azamgarh district of Uttar Pradesh while the explosive for making the bombs came from Karnataka.

The group behind May 13 Jaipur blasts had gone over from Delhi to Jaipur and planted the bombs while the bombs in Ahmedabad were planted by 13 local operatives.





‘Delhi bombs brought from K’taka’

20 09 2008


Source: CNN IBN

New Delhi: The perpetrators of the serial bombings in the capital had brought the bombs from Karnataka before the start of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, the Delhi Police said Saturday, adding that one live bomb was yet to be recovered.

“Mohammed Saif and Sajid went to Karnataka and bought 10 bombs to Delhi by train two or three days before the start of Ramzan. But one bomb was detected to be faulty at the last moment and, therefore, was not planted,” Joint Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Karnail Singh said at a press conference here.

He added that bombs were brought here in ready condition and the terrorists here only set the timers.

However, Delhi Police are yet to recover the faulty bomb. “They have thrown the faulty bomb in a drain near Batla House (in Jamia Nagar here). Then there is a live bomb somewhere near the Regal cinema hall (in Connaught Place) but we haven’t recovered them so far,” said a senior police official.

Police recovered a soldering iron, pallets, a laptop and a mobile phone of Atif, a key Indian Mujahideen leader, from a house in Jamia Nagar after a shootout Friday in which two terrorists – Atif and Sajid – were killed and Saif was arrested.

“It was Atif who used to send e-mails to various people including media organizations (about the Indian Mujahideen taking responsibility for the blasts). He was the main co-coordinator of sharing information amongst various organizations,” Singh added.

A terrorist module of 13 people was responsible for recent terror attacks in India including the Uttar Pradesh court blasts of last year and the serial bombings in Jaipur, Ahmedabad and New Delhi this year, police said.

Abdul Subhan Qureshi alias Tauqir has been alleged to have masterminded the Sep 13 synchronized blasts in the capital that killed 24 people and left nearly 100 injured.





Delhi blasts suspects’ sketches released

16 09 2008
Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi, Sept 16: Delhi Police on Tuesday released sketches of key suspects in five bombs that killed 22 people, at three public places in the Capital on Saturday. The police have released five sketches- two of 2 persons each which are suspects in Barakhamba road bombing and one sketch of a suspect in Gaffar market blast.

“We are aware of the background of these people but can not reveal it. We request the people to be on the look-out for these people and call us on 1091 with any information. The identity of callers will be kept a secret,” the police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.

“The sketches were drawn with information from witnesses who saw these men either move suspiciously or place suspect-looking bags,” Bhagat said.

Five persons, including a teenage balloon seller, who saw suspected persons placing packets in the dustbins at Central Park and Barakhamba Road were called to Police Headquarters to assist them in making sketches, a senior police official said.

He also revealed that masterminds of the bombings are called Subhan and Tarique.

Ahmedabad blasts suspects pics released

Ahmedabad Police’s crime branch had on Monday released the photographs and details of five accused, who are still absconding in connection with Ahmedabad serial blasts. In a statement, the crime branch gave background of SIMI activists–Abdul Subhan alias Tauqeer, Qayamuddin Kapadia, Abdul Razzak, Mujib Sheikh and Alamzeb Aafridi, who are accused in the serial blasts.

Subhan and Qayamuddin were already named by the police, while Razzak, Mujib and Alamzeb, all residents of Ahmedabad, were named yesterday.

Razzak and Alamzeb, active SIMI members, played a key role in purchase of cycles and placing them with the bombs in different parts of the city, the statement said.

While Razzak was present during the terror training camps held in Wagahmon in Kerala, Alamzeb attended a similar camp in Halol in Gujarat. Both played an important part during the planning meetings held in the city prior to the blasts, it said.

According to the statement, Mujib was present during meetings of SIMI members that was held prior to the blasts and used to train youth in ‘jihadi’ activities. He was also present during the training camps, it added.





Terrorism is no crime, it is an act of war

16 09 2008

September 16, 2008
Source: rediff
Human beings are like limbs of one another, as they are created from the same essence.
When one limb is hurt the other limbs cannot be but in pain.
You who are indifferent to the suffering of others do not deserve to be called a man.

Sheikh Sadi, the great Iranian poet, had said this about those who are insensitive to human pain and misery, and I wonder what he would have said about those heartless brutes masquerading as men who by their own hands cause such heart-rending tragedy as we witnessed in Delhi [Images] on September 13.

India has been a victim of terrorism for the last more than two decades and has suffered more than any other country in terms of loss of precious human lives and property. The proxy war that we have been subjected to has already been discussed in such great details that now it has attained for many people a rote quality.

The people and Government of India know, rather the whole world knows who is sponsoring these terror attacks in India, who is organising the terror training camps and where these camps are located. Sadly we appear to have developed a sense of inurement to horror. After every attack we condemn terrorism and give routine expression to our resolve to fight terror and streamline our security establishment and then sit back and wait for another attack to repeat the same performance.

We are not the only country who has suffered at the hands of international terrorism, but we surely are the only country who has shown this stoic passivity in the face of such great provocation. Is it because we are inheritors of a great tradition called gambhirta (indifference to pain and pleasure) and therefore we should not get provoked easily, or is it because we are insensitive to the loss of ordinary people who become targets of such terror attacks? If not, then surely we have underestimated or ignored the gravity of the threat to an extent sufficient to have made the task of its perpetrators far easier.

Terrorism [Images] is no ordinary crime, in plain words it is warfare deliberately waged against civilians with the purpose of destroying their will to support either leaders or policies that agents of such violence find objectionable. This cross-border terrorism has now assumed more dangerous proportions with the aid and abetment of domestic elements.

Here I am not going to make any allegations against any country but would like to refer to some public writings and statements of Pakistani columnists and senior officials. This is what an Islamabad-based freelance journalist, Dr Farrukh Saleem, has said in one of his columns:

‘For the past 40 years our uniformed decision-makers have been fed nothing but anti-India rations. Our civil society has been indoctrinated to equate Pakistan with Islam, India with Hindus, both being in tandem with ‘Hindus being eternal enemies of Islam’. Our elementary and secondary school curriculum continues to be full of hate literature. My 9 -year-old son has a problem comprehending that an Indian can also be a Muslim.’

This was written some 25 years back, but the situation has only worsened thereafter. Ahmad Salim and A H Nayyar, in their 140-page report on ‘The state of curriculum and textbooks in Pakistan’, say ‘the themes of jihad and shahadat (martyrdom), clearly distinguish the pre and post-1979 educational contents. There was no mention of these in the pre-Islamisation period curricula and textbooks, while the post-1979 curricula and textbooks openly eulogise jihad and shahadat and urge students to become mujahids (religious warriors) and martyrs.’

Now this is not about the books in a madrassa, but about the books that are prescribed in government schools for the children of five to 17 years of age.

On the other hand the chief of Inter Services Intelligence, while responding to a question at a seminar at Islamabad [Images] in 1999, publicly stated that ‘Our aim is to weaken India from within and we can do it’. Only recently, some highly-placed officials of the US State Department have confirmed that the Pakistani army chief was aware of the ISI’s plans to bomb the Indian embassy in Kabul in July.

These are not new revelations, merely a reference to show that the perpetrators of violence are not and cannot be treated as ordinary criminals; in fact they are foot soldiers of the mastermind operating from across the border. Terrorism is no ordinary crime, it is an act of war waged against India by targeting its civilian population. It is beyond the capacity of the local police or state governments to meet this threat adequately.

Once we acknowledge that terrorism is an act of war waged against India then it becomes the paramount duty of the central government to decide how long we will allow ourselves to bleed and how soon shall we put an end to this aggression.

We must also disabuse ourselves of the notion that all these terror problems have arisen as a result of the so-called unresolved Kashmir dispute. More than Kashmir, it was the creation of Bangladesh in 1971 and the surrender of more than 90,000 Pakistani soldiers that rankles the mind of the Pakistani military establishment. They hold us responsible for their dismemberment and humiliation and feel that but for India’s intervention they could have ruthlessly suppressed the Bangladeshi disaffection and aspirations.

At the same time they are conscious of the result of three conventional wars and do not have the bile for another direct encounter. On the other hand, they can take satisfaction that by the stratagem of proxy wars in the guise of terrorism, they have been able to inflict greater damage on India. According to this strategy the action is directed at destroying India from within, which means using Indians to carry out the operations without risking their own blood and infrastructure.

We need not blame anybody but realise that our security is exclusively our own concern. Pakistan has every reason to behave the way they are behaving, but we have no explanation to justify our sloth and inertia. There are other countries who if attacked pursue the terrorist across continents, and we have failed to take care of the terror training camps at a stone’s throw from our borders.

Enough is enough, we must make it clear that we shall not suffer any more spilling of blood on our streets and shall put nothing to chance in matters of national security.

Arif Mohammed Khan resigned as minister from Rajiv Gandhi’s Council of Ministers in 1987 in protest after the government moved a bill in Parliament to overturn the Supreme Court verdict in the Shah Bano case. A consistent voice of Muslim progressives, he is now a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party.





Terror Strikes Indian Capital : Masked Indian Mujahideen

13 09 2008

In pictures: Delhi blasts

The site of one of the blasts

As police secured the scene, investigations into the cause of the blasts got underway.

Videos From you tube

  • Story Highlights
  • Explosions hit Karol Bagh market, Kailash Market, and Connaught Place
  • Two other bombs found near a movie theater and near central park defused
  • CNN-IBN received email warning reportedly from Indian Mujahedeen
  • Exact number of casualties is not known

Courtesy: CNN.COM

NEW DELHI, India (CNN) — A string of explosions ripped through busy marketplaces in New Delhi on Saturday, killing at least 15 people and injuring at least 50 others, a police spokesman said.

People run to help an injured man after a bomb blast in a commercial area in New Delhi.

People run to help an injured man after a bomb blast in a commercial area in New Delhi.

CNN-IBN, CNN’s sister network in India, said it received an e-mail from the Indian Mujahadeen warning of an impending strike. The e-mail was received about five minutes after the first blast.

At least five explosions ripped through the Karol Bagh market, Kailash Market and Connaught Place — a popular tourist destination, Delhi police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said.

Two other bombs found near a movie theater and near central park in the Connaught Place area were defused, he said.

Bhagat refused comment about who might have carried out the attack. No arrests have been made, he said.

Indian Mujahideen claimed responsibility for more than a dozen blasts that struck the western Indian city of Ahmedabad in July, killing 15 and wounded 100 others.

The blasts struck within about an hour of each other within a six-mile (10 km) radius.

Indian Mujahideen also claimed responsibility in May for near-simultaneous bomb attacks that killed 63 people in the northwest city of Jaipur.

In the Jaipur claim, the group declared “open war” against India in retaliation for what it said were 60 years of Muslim persecution and the country’s support of United States’ policies.

BBC Video of the blasts

Chronology of Delhi blasts:

Courtesy: Expressindia.com

Oct 29, 2005: 50 people killed and 70 injured, including some foreigners, in three explosions in two busy markets and near a bus in Delhi.

May 22, 2005: One person killed in serial blasts in two cinema halls in Delhi.

Dec 30, 1997: Four commuters killed and about 30 injured in a bomb explosion in a bus near Punjabi Bagh.

Nov 30, 1997: Twin blasts in Red Fort area leaves three killed and 70 injured.

Oct 26, 1997: Twin bomb blasts in Karol Bagh market leaves one dead and 34 injured.

Oct 18, 1997: One killed, 23 hurt in twin bomb blasts in Rani Bagh market.

Oct 10, 1997: One killed, 16 injured in three bomb blasts at Shantivan, Kauria Pul and Kingsway Camp areas.

Oct 1, 1997: Thirty injured in two bomb explosions near a procession in the Sadar Bazar area.

Jan 9, 1997: 50 injured in bomb blast opposite the Delhi Police Headquarters at ITO.

May 23, 1996: At least 16 people killed in bomb blasts in Lajpat Nagar Central Market.