Baghdad in Guwahati, 50 killed, 300 injured by Krishna Das from Guwahati |

30 10 2008

Recent blasts that rocked Assam: (Source: NDTV)

  • On September 30, two powerful bomb blasts rocked Tinsukia killing 5 and injuring 52; a third blast damaged a natural gas pipeline.
  • On September 24 in Darrang, one person was seriously injured when a bomb exploded at a local theatre in Udalguri district.
  • On August 15, three bombs tagetted Independence Day parade grounds at lower Assam’s Dhubri and Chirang district, injuring one person.
  • Thursday, 30 October , 2008, 17:27

    Source: Sify.com

    Baghdad in Guwahati, 50 killed, 300 injured

    For pictures of the blast site: BBC NEWS

    Guwahati: It is Baghdad in Guwahati. Three back to back major car bombs followed up by two booby- trapped bombs and if that was not enough seven more bombs in other parts of Assam saw at least 50 dead and 300 injured.

    Images of Guwahati serial blast

    This was the worst Assam had seen in its 20-year insurgency and contrary to government claims, the ordinary people believe it as an HuJI attack and Congress government was protecting them by bringing ULFA’s name into picture.

    With the intensity, timing and ground position of the ULFA coupled together, the needle of suspicion points at the militants of the Islamic organizations that have been taking wings under a blind government of Assam that is keen to defend itself than tackling terrorists.

    Major terror strikes in India

    “Let them protect the Islamic militants. Congress is not interested in national security. They are more interested in their vote bank and see the results today,” said the AASU Adviser Dr Samujjal Bhattacharya.

    Rhetoric apart, Assam was ripped apart by the most devastating terrorist attack of its history when 12 synchronised blasts took place in lower Assam – five in Guwahati including Ganeshguri, Panbazar and Fancy Bazar, three at Kokrajhar, and two at Barpeta Road and Bongaigaon – leaving at least 50 dead and injuring more than 200.

    18 serial blast shook Assam

    Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi confirmed that 48 people dead so far but the toll should go up as at least 50 others were struggling for life in very critical position. He appealed the political parties to stay calm.

    “According to information received here, there have been 12 bomb blasts at Guwahaun gogoi, ti, Kokrajhar, Barpeta Road and Bongaigaon in which 48 persons lost their lives and more than 300 sustained injuries,” he said.

    In fact militant’s booby trapped Ganeshguri by blastinbg three back to back bombs. With 19 bomb blasts over a period of last six years the Ganeshguri point of the Guwahati city is arguably one of the most bombed place of country.

    But today’s blast was the worst. “I have seen almost all of these blasts but this was the worst. Today, the cars caught fire and at least 10 persons were charred to death instantly. The previous blasts were of low intensity and did not cause such damage,” said Rabiram Nath, the fruit vendor who escaped because he had gone inside of his shop.

    Everybody in the busy Ganeshguri point have become numbed to this fear. “With so many bombs going off everywhere, the fear factor has actually gone. It has become part of our life but today’s blast was horrible. I had never seen something like that. One of the injured man’s severed leg flew almost 20 feet and came near our shop,” said Joynal Abedin, employed at a biscuit shop in the area.

    Meanwhile, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today reviewed the law and order situation of the state following the serial blasts and expressed dismay over the police’s utter failure to stop the bombings.

    He summoned the top brass of the Assam police as well as senior of the state officers and gave them a dressing down. The Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh is arriving tomorrow for an on the spot assessment of the situation. According to the Chief Minster’s office, more para-military forces were being dispatched form neighbouring states to help the state police.

    The attack had left the state administration shattered and the security apparatus collapsed as angry mob attacked police and journalists while setting at least half a dozen government vehicle on fire, forcing authorities to open fire and finally clamp indefinite curfew in the Guwahati city.

    The blasts have brought Guwahati to a halt with all telephone lines jammed and traffic to a standstill. Business and offices were closed down immediately and thousands of people were left stranded on the roads as public transport was cancelled.

    Authorities clamped curfew to stop spreading panic in the state and to check violent angry mobs from attacking government properties. With wailing ambulances and fire brigades rushing from one point to another, the town of Guwahati wore a ghastly war zone look – a sight that is sure to haunt the town folks for days to come.

    Additionals from Express India

    ULFA denies hand in blasts, offers solace to aggrieved

    Guwahati, October 30: The banned ULFA denied its involvement in the serial blasts that rocked Assam killing 56 people and injuring over 350 people. “The ULFA is in no way involved in the blasts in Guwahati, Bongaigaon, Barpeta and Kokrajhar and we condemn the incidents,” an e-mail statement signed by Aanjan Borthakur of the group’s central publicity unit said.

    The group also offered its deep condolences to the family members of those killed in the blasts and wished for the speedy recovery of the injured.

    The ULFA urged the authorities to ensure proper treatment of the injured. Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and government spokesman Subhas Das had earlier claimed the hand of “anti-national extremist elements” in the blasts while Kamrup (Metro) Deputy Commissioner Prateek Hajela claimed the HuJI was involved in the serial blasts.

    Advertisements